Monday, May 20, 2013

Velvet Coat





I finally finished my velvet coat.  I know some people have been wanting to see pictures of this.  Sorry it took so long to finish.  After the weather warmed up it was difficult to convince myself to sit under all of that fabric to sew up the hems.  The cooler weather we had yesterday was enough to get me to finish this.

I used Simplicity pattern 1732, and added a few alterations of my own.  I was super happy to finally use this velvet fabric I have had in storage for 7-8 years.  O.O!  I had originally bought it to make a winter skirt, but I never did.  I'm glad I didn't.  I think I like the coat more.  :3  All the fabric was stuff I had on hand (including the fur).  I just needed to pick up the buttons, the bread trim, and the ribbon.  The beads I used were also left overs from a different project.

I added the beads onto the trim to add detail, draw the eye more, and to lighten the overall color.  I also added a ribbon onto the back to help shape the waistline.  I make coats a size or two larger than they need to be.  This allows the wearer to wear whatever they want underneath them.  If you buy a coat the same size as your clothing you find that the coat tends to be tight, and a little uncomfortable.

The picture for the buttons is a little dark.  I couldn't use the flash on the picture and still show the button detail.  They are 100% pewter buttons.  They have a Viking dragon design on them.

I am thinking of making this coat into a costume, but nothing in the near future.  I don't really have the finances to back a large costuming project at this point in time.  Yet, I am think of possibly doing a "Forest Queen in Winter" costume with this.  >^.~<

2 comments: